Thursday, April 16, 2009

I See Dead People Part I

LOST 5x13 - "Some Like It Hoth"

I was really looking forward to this episode of LOST because I had the feeling that I would have some laughs.  I'm so glad I was right.  That's just another great thing about LOST - they know exactly when to give us something funny to watch.  And after last week's very dark episode, "Dead Is Dead", we were all ready for something a little lighter.  Out of curiosity I decided to refresh my memory on what the plot is of the movie "Some Like It Hot".  I couldn't find anything that I thought linked it to LOST but check this out and let me know if you come up with something.  Regardless, I definitely got enough hilarious quotes from Hurley to keep me laughing through the next two week's, which was more than I expected.  Of course, in true LOST form, we were also left with a new set of questions (i.e., If this guy Braum doesn't work for Whidmore or Ben, then who does he work for?) and we were reminded of some questions that are still unanswered (What the hell is in the shadow of the statue, damnit?)  (More on that later)  Tonight's episode was Miles-centric and since we already knew that he could "talk" to dead people, I was anxious to learn more about Miles Straum.  LOST definitely gave us plenty of connections between Miles and our other castaways/time travelers.  And ultimately, I think Juliette set the tone of the week's to come when she said, "Well, here we go."  On a side note, I loved the fact that the next line Sawyer says directly to her is, "Get some rope."  AWESOME!!

So, what is up with younger versions of characters making appearances at the beginning of episodes?  Here are the ones I remember.  Be sure to send me the ones I missed and correct me if any of these are wrong.  1x5 - "White Rabbit" Jack gets beat up by kids on a playground and Daddy-Of-The-Year Christian tells him he "just doesn't have what it takes". 1x16 - "Outlaws" Sawyer hides under his bed while another award-winning father shoots mom. 2x10 - "The 23rd Psalm" Mr. Eko saves his younger brother from being forced to join an African version of The Jets (or maybe they are The Sharks). 2x12 - "Fire + Water" Charlie gets a piano for Christmas. 3x2 - "The Glass Ballerina" Sun does what she does best - lies, lies, lies and gets the maid fired to save herself from getting in trouble with (yep you guessed it) her awesome dad. 3x10 - "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" Hurley's dad leaves and in true Cat's In The Cradle style, promises that they will work on an old car together as soon as he gets back....approx. 15 years later. 3x20 - "The Man Behind The Curtain" Ben (not sure if this one counts since he's more like a fetus than a kid when the episode starts) 5x10 - "He's Our You" Sayid chokes a chicken (heee heee, that's funny) to prevent his ?brother? from being ridiculed by their dad.  And then we have tonight's episode where a young Miles hasn't yet learned how to turn the scary dead people's voices off in his head.

I'm not sure if the writer's have a good reason for starting episodes this way (other than it being a different approach to telling the story) but I know that I have learned several things through this method:  1. Younger character appearances equals Bad Hair;  2.  I want my next baby to wear Dharma onesies and;  3.  Lots of characters on LOST have Daddy issues.

One thing we learn is that, unlike Charlotte, Miles did not seek out The Island.  I guess I always thought ALL of The Freighties came to The Island knowingly armed with their own personal reasons.  I don't know if I like the fact that The Island sought out Miles but I know I don't like the thought of him being there only for money.  Come on, how lame is that?  And what is up with him being so money driven?  Is he saving up for something?  On the other hand, we do see him give back money to a stranger for the second time.  Remember last season he gave back some cash to a woman who was trying to get her dead grandson out of her house.  What does all of that mean?  What is the connection between Miles and money?  Is it just a tool used to show us that he has a sensitive side and a conscience?  I'm not sure.  I'm just wondering, if money is not really his achilles heal, then what is? 

We see that Miles' mother appeared to die of cancer, which is ironic since The Island seems to cure cancer.  Or at least that is one of my theories.  All I know is that this guy is so laid back.  I mean, if I had time traveled to 1977 on a magical island and I saw my mom in the cafeteria of a crazy, hippie, bunny experimenting commune - one that she had conveniently NEVER mentioned to me - I don't think I would be able to keep that information to myself for three years.  Am I the only one who thinks this way?  I was rather disappointed when Mom decided that during her last moments alive, she would rather tell her only son how much his father sucked instead of answering his first and more important question - HOW IS HE ABLE TO TALK TO DEAD PEOPLE?  I don't know, once again, maybe it's just me.  

As for Daddy Chang, it seems evident that he is not digging on everything that the Dharma Initiative is doing.  That was the feeling I got when he said, "If you breathe one word of this, I'll have you shipped to Hydra Island so that you can weigh turds for their ridiculous experiments."  To which Hurley simply replies, "Gross."  I guess he doesn't necessarily HAVE to think that everything they are doing on The Island is greatness, but I was definitely surprised when I heard him say the experiments were ridiculous.  On a side note, why haven't any of us fans ever thought of calling it "Hydra Island"?  That seems like such an obvious name for the other island, duh!    

Next Post:  I See Dead People Part Deaux

No comments:

Post a Comment